Roasted potatoes, Shao Tu Dou, Potatoes Floss
Potatoes dish, Roasted potatoes, Potato floss is popular food in the world as everybody knows. The potatoes were from Peru originally and spread to the world over thousands of years. People like potatoes so much, do you know the reason?
Potatoes can be the Main Food and Also Vegetables.
Some people answer this: When there is no rice, potatoes are rice. When there is no vegetable, potatoes are vegetables. When there is no meat, potatoes are still meat. When there is no ginger, they can also serve as ginger. How a kind of such versatile food is! So, Potatoes can be regarded as vegetables, also potatoes can be the main food, like rice, bread.
However, the ways to cook potatoes vary in different countries and different places. Probably, you know some ways. Here, I would like to share one of the potatoes dishes I like most, Shao Tu Dao, a kind of ROASTED potatoes.
A Story of learning Shao Tu Dou, ROASTED potatoes
It was my story of learning Shao Tu Dou. Many years ago when I was in college. We could not eat so many times meat in our daily life. Shao Tu Dao is one I like, the taste was similar to meat. The price of a plate of this food was almost the same as a plate of fried pork. The normal stir-fried vegetable, such as a plate of fried green vegetables was 5 cents in Chinese money, a plate of stir-fried pork was 20 cents, but the Shao Tu Dou was 15 cents, which was triple times of normal vegetable. A few years later, I never had eaten such kind of Shao Tu Dou in any restaurant, so I asked my schoolmate how Shao Tu Dou was cooked by our school restaurant. My schoolmate knew how to cook this dish. I learned from her. Since then, I cooked it sometime. I love this dish, tasty, crispy, with thick juice.
The way to cook, diced washed potatoes, put starch flour, and add seasonings, deep fry a little time, recook with low heat. The detailed recipe as below.
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- 5 Medium Potatoes
- 2 Sweet peppers
- 2 Green Peppers
- 3 Green Onions
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Pieces Ginger
- 5 Tbs Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Prickly Ash
- 3 Star Aniseed
- 2 tsp. Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Wine
- 1 tsp. Vinegar
- 1. Dice the potatoes and put into a container
- 2, add 1/3 cup of starch flour
- 3. Add 1/2 cup or more of olive oil into wok with high heat, add potatoes until the oil heat 8/10, Fry for 2-3 minutes and roll over while it is frying, watch the color change to light brown. The rested oil should be pull out from the wok.
- 4. Take the fried potatoes out from the wok or electric deep fryer.
- 5. Add 1 Tbs. olive oil into the empty and dry wok with high heat, add Star Aniseed and prickly ash after 8/10 hot. Then stir them until the color to be changed, take them out.
- 6. Add garlic, ginger, stir a few time, then add green pepper, and sweet yellow pepper.
- 7. Add 2 tsp of brown sugar, 2 tsp.light soy sauce, 1 tsp.dark soy sauce, 1 tsp. cooking wine into the wok, stir it. Then add 1 cup of water util boiling.
- 8. Add fried potatoes into the wok, stir them and cover with a lid, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 9. Add 1 tsp. of sweet potatoes powder to 1/2 cup of water, mix them, then add to the wok, stir them for 1-2 minute.
- 10. Add green onion,