Mashed red beans with sweet potatoes is one of the healthy food recipes. Red beans and sweet potato are healthy foods. Traditional mashed red bean always add some sugar, in this recipe add mashed sweet potato instead of sugar. The taste is sweet but healthy. Usually I don’t add any oil. Here, you can add a tsp. sesame oil. This food can be eaten with rice, bun, bread and vegetables. It can be used to cook with other foods as fillers, such as, baozi, or mooncakes.
Quick and easy recipe. You can boil red beans, and sweet potato. Then just mash them by blender or manual mixer. It is best to put beans into the warm water for 2 hours or 1 day before cooking. Just clean a cup of dry red beans and put them into a container within 2-3 cups of water.
Time: 20- 30 Minutes Serve: 2-4
1 ½ cups dry red beans
1 medium Sweet potato
1 tsp. sesame oil (option)
- Soak the red beans in warm water for 2 hours or one night before cooking.
- Put the red beans and plenty of water into the pot with high heat until boiling, and cook a few minutes. Drain the water out.
- Add 3 cups of water into the pot with high heat until boiling, turn to medium for 2 to 3 minutes and then low heat for 8 minutes. Take a look, make sure there are still water in the pot, then turn off the stove and let sit there for about 10 minutes until the beans almost cool, about 5 minutes.
- Use manual blender or fruit juice blender to mash the cooked red beans.
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut the skin and cut into 1 inch square cubes. Put them into water in a pot, turn on the stove with medium heat to boil about 8 -10 minutes, let it almost cool, about 5 minutes, then drain the water out.
- Use manual blender or hand with a glove on to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Mix the mash potato with mashed red beans.
- And add a tsp. sesame oil. Start to serve.